Thursday, October 6, 2022

First 911 call

 On Tuesday Sept. 6th  Korbyn started to complain around dinner time that his allergies were acting up, So I gave him allergy medicine and we went on with our night. At 9:15 I check on him and he is asleep, at around 9:55 I hear him running around and Screaming up stairs. I figure one of his sisters is bugging him so I go upstairs prepared to yell. I find Korbyn croup coughing struggling to catch his breath between coughs and and when he could he was screaming! We were having a really hard time getting him to calm down he started to drool and go pale I was so scared i called 911! While I was on the phone with 911 Travis had the impression to take him into the bathroom and turn on the hot water in the shower and let him breath the steam. By the time the paramedics got there he was calmed down a bit. They checked him over and told us he needed to go to the ER but gave us the option to take him our selves. We opted to take him our selves with strict rules to keep him awake and call again if he had another episode. So I called my mom to come sit with the girls and off we went! He struggled to stay awake but kept the coughing to a minimum. the ER was packed so they gave him a steroid in the waiting room and pulled him back for observation. They said he had a severe case of croup and the screaming was a panic attack because he couldn't catch his breath. After a popsicle, a prescription for more steroids and good look over to make sure he was doing better so we headed home. The ER said that croup is actually most contagious if there is a fever and BEFORE symptoms occur so they said if he was up for it he could go to school The next morning. He was super tired and wanted a day just to relax so I kept him home from school.
Although it was scary so many miracles also happened. His panic attack made it so I heard him and was able to get him the help he needed. Enslie slept thru the whole thing and was the only other one in hearing distance i could not hear the cough in my room.. Travis' quick thinking to get him in the steam made him calm down enough he didn't need and ambulance. And The ER treating him so kindly and giving him what he needed. Not to mention the Prayers of my family following a quick group text. I'm so glad he is back to his crazy self! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment